Tuesday, July 22, 2008

cot quilts in silk


To compliment the knitted cot quilts that Pete is trying to get launched, I have started to make patchwork quilts in pure silk, with hand-painted patches plus room for a machine-embroidered panel to personalise the quilt. These are two prototypes:

The animals are outlined in a bronze 'gutta' but I think something darker would look better. This is a small, pram size and will sell for about 90 euros (including machine embroidery).

This bigger quilt is a cot size and the rainbow patches didn't come out quite as I hoped. I have put the gîte name and date of our first guests on the panel, and I will use it on the cot we have in the gîte.
I am now making another of these, but have painted the rainbows in narrower stripes on a full quilt size piece of silk, and will cut out the piece to give two quilts-worth of rainbow patches. I am also going to use a darker blue for the plain squares. Photos to follow soon.

Now the gîte really is finished AND inspected AND passed for inclusion in the Brittany Ferries brochure next year we can get on with other stuff again at last - there IS life after Gîte!

No comments: