Thursday, September 11, 2008

kinésithérapeute!

I am coming to the end of my first two weeks working as a physiotherapist at our local hospital. This is a mental hospital that serves most of Brittany, and I am the only physio in the place! The job is mornings only - 17.5 hours a week from 8.30 to midday, 20 minutes drive from home and no traffic jams (hardly any traffic for that matter).

As Fran so neatly put it, I am currently rather outside my comfort zone, but it sure will improve my French in a hurry! I have to ask about everything, as all the healthcare/hospital systems are unfamiliar to me. I also have to ask the french words for lots of things, as they are equally unfamiliar. And the telephone!!!! But most people are extremely friendly and helpful (with the odd inevitable exception) and happy to show me what is what. I asked for a computer the first day (priorities!) but it hasn't materialised yet. I will need to get some more up to date electrotherapy equipment as the stuff in the department probably came out of the ark. I haven't a clue what it does or how to use any of it, and from the look of it, don't much want to. My predecessor retired in June, leaving the place pretty blank except for stuff that was probably new when he started in the sixties. Once I get a computer and internet link I will go searching french equipment suppliers and put in a bid for some new kit. Perhaps a local museum will be interested in some bygone therapeutic artifacts?? (joke!?)

I still haven't quite fathomed out how to use the security phone I have in the department itself, which I am supposed to keep on me when I am treating a patient there. That will probably be a job for tomorrow, as I have had a patient referred for treatment in the kiné department, rather than in one of the various units spread out over the hospital grounds. Last time I took it out of its wall-mounted recharger it vibrated and set off an alarm which I managed to quell by pressing all the buttons in turn, but not sure still which it was... As far as I can gather (I have had one brief explanation from one of the nurses on one of the units I visited) you have to press a button on the side each time it vibrates (about every ten minutes) - not doing this sets off the alarm. But I will go and check again, taking with me my trusty electronic translator this time!

Most of my patients so far have just been gently batty - so it matters not that my french is fairly rudimentary or plain incorrect - I just nod, smile and agree, "d'accord" - seems to work most times. However motivating some of them to do exercises that are uncomfortable of difficult is rather more of a challenge. Writing up notes in dog-french-come-latin is even more of a nightmare, but I'm sure it provides some moments of amusement to the nursing staff! My patient load can hardly be described as heavy yet, though it is building up. I have enough work now to keep me going most of the morning with time to take coffee in at least one unit each day plus time to pour over a dictionary back at the department to find out how to phone someone and ask yet another question. Pretty civilized so far - none of the frantic rush and stress of an english general hospital. Watch this space!

No comments: