Thursday, February 28, 2013

New lambs and a late Christmas present

Patsy had her twin lambs late on monday night - two nice big lambs, one male and one female.  

It took her a while to count up to two, so we had to keep an eye on her to make sure she didn't wander off, up the field, with only one.  They are thriving nicely.

Eddie had her two this morning, although they are more like one-and-a-half! They are both male, but one is almost twice the size of the other. I am contemplating calling them Majuscule et Minuscule.


Inevitably she chose a morning when Pete had to leave at sparrow-fart to teach in Guingamp, so I passed a fraught 30 minutes trying to get Minuscule to feed. He was just sprawled out and unable to stand on his own, while Majuscule was getting on with his breakfast, no problem.  I had to resort to holding Eddie between my knees and then aiming a pathetic little lamb towards her udder. As I was wearing my work clothes I then arrived at work, late, reeking of sheep! Eau de Ewe...

Its hard to see the difference in their sizes from these pictures. However, the little one makes enough noise for two and seems to be trying to feed on a semi-permanent basis. Eddie also cannot count to two, so we are keeping them together, under cover, for a while till she gets the measure of them.


Below is the quaich I made as a Christmas present for our youngest son Greg and his partner Alice. This is made of holly, but it had to be dyed, as it went such a nasty greeny-grey after I had carved it, so it has become a very late present.  No prizes for guessing where I copied the shape from (but heres a link for those who don't immediately know:  robin wood quaich)

I dyed it using walnut husks and am eventually quite pleased with it. One day I hope to be able to turn these on a pole-lathe, but for now, this one was just carved.

No comments: