Thursday, February 22, 2007

lino printing

I have been doing some lino printing - predictably of our cat Rupert. However, I'm not good with colours and this is a four-colour print. I was inspired initially by the Japanese-style of woodcut with flat colours and a sharp, dark outline.

Here are the stages in making the blocks, the first being the design drawn onto a piece of lino:

The next photo shows the first pull from the part-cut block

This is the fully-cut block and the black and white print from it:


These are the 4 separate blocks. The background ones are cut from plywood.

Finally, here are some of the 4 colour prints I have tried, starting with the first go in green and blue.



this last is a 'safe' colour version - a bit bland I think!

I would really appreciate any feedback and especially ideas about the colours.
If the truth be told I think I prefer the first draft from the partially-cut block (second from top), simply left in black and white...

3 comments:

jen mickelborough said...

hi jane - the prints look great and really capture his cat essence. I also really like the black & white, but if I was to choose colour I'd leave the cat black & white and do a mossy green/goldy green or a pinky red/velvety red and the cat would be really visible. nice work :)

jen mickelborough said...

that wasn't very clear - I meant a combination of two different tones of the same basic colour!

Francis Mickelborough said...

Hi, I love the cat design, but to be honest I don't like any of the colours they are just distracting for me! I actually prefer the original design without the diagonal line which I find detracts from the movement of the cat which you captured so perfectly! I could almost go with the second colour version if the cat was pink, but only because it would be very Andy Warhole!!