Saturday, March 24, 2012

French pragmatism

Once I leave the old railway track, my cycle route home from work continues up the D87 towards Kergrist Moelou. The D stands for Départmentale, ie the road is maintained by the Départment, in our case Côtes d'Armor. 
However, there are bits of the road that look (and feel) as if they have been ploughed and harrowed, where the surface is crumbling, and where a cyclist needs to maintain an altitude of at least a centimeter above the saddle to avoid bruising bits better not mentioned in public...

The Départment has obviously run out of road-mending cash, so they take the pragmatic approach:
Put a sign up telling people what is already painfully evident - caveat emptor, or rather, let the rider beware.
So thats all sorted now.  

These signs have been up for a year to date, and I suspect will continue in place for quite a while longer during this economic pinch.
Oh well, I shall just have to get decent suspension on my push-bike, or better padding in my cycle shorts.

2 comments:

Vivian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.